Gingerbread refers to a broad category of baked goods, typically flavored with ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon and sweetened with honey, sugar, or molasses. Gingerbread foods vary, ranging from a soft, moist loaf cake to something close to a ginger snap.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup very hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13″ baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses; beat well.
3. Sift dry ingredients together and add in several additions to the creamed mixture.
4. Add hot water and carefully beat into other ingredients. The batter will be thin.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes (sometimes way less–check after about 30 minutes with toothpick to the center–do not overbake). Serve warm or cold with desired toppings–I recommend lemon curd and whipped cream, or bananas and whipped cream.
Info and image from Wikipedia