A peach pie is a delicious dessert made using peaches as the primary ingredient. It typically consists of a flaky pastry crust filled with sliced or diced peaches that are often sweetened and spiced to enhance their natural flavor. The pie can be baked until the crust is golden brown and the peach filling is bubbly and aromatic.
Here’s a basic outline of how a peach pie is usually made:
- Fresh peaches (sliced or diced)
- Pie crust (can be store-bought or homemade)
- Sugar (to sweeten the peaches)
- Flour or cornstarch (to thicken the filling)
- Lemon juice (to enhance the flavor and prevent browning)
- Spices like cinnamon or nutmeg (optional but adds flavor)
- Butter (for dotting on top of the filling)
- Egg wash (to brush on the crust for a shiny finish)
- Preheat the oven according to the pie crust instructions or recipe.
- Prepare the pie crust: Roll out one pie crust and place it in a pie dish. Trim any excess crust hanging over the edges.
- Prepare the filling: In a bowl, mix sliced or diced peaches with sugar, lemon juice, and spices. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- If the peaches are particularly juicy, you might want to add some flour or cornstarch to the filling mixture. This helps to thicken the juices as the pie bakes, preventing a runny filling.
- Pour the peach filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Dot the filling with small pieces of butter to add richness.
- Roll out the second pie crust and either place it on top as a whole crust or cut it into strips to create a lattice pattern.
- If using a whole crust, make sure to cut slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Crimp the edges of the pie crust to seal the pie.
- Optionally, brush the top crust with an egg wash for a golden and shiny finish.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, usually around 45 to 55 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool before slicing and serving.
Peach pies are a popular summer dessert, taking advantage of the fresh and juicy peaches available during that time of year. They can be enjoyed on their own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat.
Image from NY Times