To make a classic strawberry shortcake, you will need the following ingredients:
For the shortcake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the strawberries:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- Whipped cream for serving
Now, here’s a step-by-step guide to making strawberry shortcake:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the milk and vanilla extract together. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead it a few times until it becomes smooth. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) thickness. Use a round biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out individual shortcakes. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the shortcakes in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- While the shortcakes are cooling, prepare the strawberries. In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and granulated sugar. Stir gently to coat the strawberries with sugar. Let them sit for about 15 minutes to release their juices and macerate.
- Once the shortcakes have cooled, split them in half horizontally using a sharp knife.
- To assemble, place the bottom half of a shortcake on a plate. Spoon a generous amount of strawberries over the shortcake. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Place the top half of the shortcake on top and add more strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
- Serve the strawberry shortcakes immediately and enjoy!
Note: You can also add additional layers of strawberries and whipped cream between the shortcake layers if you prefer a more decadent dessert.
Image from Wikipedia