Cherries Jubilee is a classic dessert that originated in the late 19th century, and it’s known for its deliciously sweet and slightly tart flavor profile. Here’s a description of Cherries Jubilee:
Ingredients: Cherries Jubilee primarily consists of the following key ingredients:
- Cherries: The star of the dessert, ripe and juicy cherries are usually used. Traditionally, Morello cherries are preferred due to their tartness.
- Brandy or Kirsch: A flammable spirit, typically brandy or kirsch (a type of cherry brandy), is used to create a fiery flambe effect.
- Sugar: To sweeten and create a syrupy sauce.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: The dessert is often served over a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream, which provides a nice contrast to the warm cherry sauce.
Preparation: The preparation of Cherries Jubilee involves the following steps:
- Pitting the Cherries: Start by removing the pits from the cherries, either by hand or with a cherry pitter.
- Creating the Cherry Sauce: In a pan, combine the pitted cherries and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the cherries release their juices. The sauce should thicken slightly.
- Adding the Brandy: Once the sauce has thickened, remove the pan from the heat. Carefully pour the brandy or kirsch into the pan.
- Flambéing: Return the pan to the heat and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long lighter. Be cautious while doing this, and stand back as the flames can be quite impressive. The flames will subside once the alcohol burns off, leaving a rich, caramelized cherry sauce.
- Serving: Serve Cherries Jubilee immediately by spooning the warm cherry sauce over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The contrast between the hot sauce and cold ice cream is a key element of the dessert’s appeal.
- Garnish: You can garnish Cherries Jubilee with a sprig of fresh mint or a dusting of powdered sugar for added visual appeal.
Cherries Jubilee is not only a delightful dessert but also a showstopper due to the dramatic flambéing step. It’s often prepared tableside in upscale restaurants, where the flaming spectacle adds to the dining experience. The combination of sweet cherries, caramelized sugar, and the warm, boozy sauce paired with cold vanilla ice cream makes Cherries Jubilee a beloved and indulgent treat.
Image from Wikipedia