Here is a recipe for making chocolate custard:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until it begins to steam, but don’t let it boil.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until smooth.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla extract until the chocolate is melted and the custard is smooth.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl or pitcher.
- Pour the custard into individual serving dishes or a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until set.
- Serve the chocolate custard chilled, topped with whipped cream or fresh fruit, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious homemade chocolate custard!
Image from Food and Wine