Happy National Chopsticks Day! Whether you are a beginner or an expert in using chopsticks, today is the perfect day to celebrate and appreciate how chopsticks have become part of our food culture. From sushi to noodles, chopsticks make eating a meal more enjoyable and memorable. Here are some fun facts about chopstick usage around the world:
- In China, it is believed that chopsticks were invented at least 5,000 years ago and first made from bamboo or metal.
- Chopsticks are also widely used in Japan, Taiwan, Korea and Vietnam.
- It was not until the 16th century that chopsticks were introduced to Europe.
- In India, most people use either their hands or flatware such as spoons for eating instead of chopsticks.
- In some parts of Southeast Asia, smaller “tea chopsticks” are used for stirring tea cups or picking up snacks.
So why not take some time today to practice using chopsticks? Or if you don’t feel comfortable trying them out yet, why not try cooking something special with them? There’s no better way to celebrate National Chopstick Day than by enjoying a delicious meal!
Image from Wikipedia